Wednesday, October 24, 2007

At the Top of the World

After battling the train strike all Friday morning and finally finding out that although our train was canceled we could hop onto one with a detour through Geneva, we finally got to Interlaken, Switzerland. Let me just say I'm glad I was so determined to get here because this place was amazing. Interlaken is a tiny village in the Swiss Alps surrounded on either side by two huge lakes and by mountains on the other sides. It's definitely an outdoorsman/extreme sports lovers' paradise- since it's pretty small, most of the activities let you take advantage of the natural beauty and awesomeness of the land around you.

With this in mind, I had one mission going into this trip...something I was not going to let myself leave Europe without having done- skydiving over the Swiss Alps. Another friend and I booked our places for a Saturday jump and after waiting out the first snow of the season, we were driven up to the top of one of the mountains to the landing strip. We received a few basic instructions on jump procedures, got suited up, and started heading out. Francesca and I were in the last group to jump, so we got to see everyone fly out of the plane and drift in a few minutes later for a safe landing.

Once it was our turn, we got into the plane, lifted off, and started getting strapped in to our tandem instructor. As we were climbing, the entire landscape of Interlaken came into view. The higher we went, the more incredible the view. Finally, we reached our jumping altitude of 11,000 feet and they swung the door of the plane open all of a sudden. Looking out the opening and actually seeing the Earth a few miles below was the first jolt of excitement. The second came when I swung my feet over the side of the plane to assume the jump position. Dangling there at 11,000 feet, I knew there was only one thing left to do. My instructor tilted my head back, assumed his position, and out we went. That was the third and sweetest jolt of excitement- the realization that I was free-falling from a plane at 120mph toward the Earth.

My instructor and I did a backflip out of the plane so the first thing I saw was it flying away from me. He flipped us over and the entire panorama of the land below came into view. Sun beaming on the snow capped peaks; clouds not quite reaching the tops of some; clear, blue water glimmering below- it was incredible. We free fell for about 30 seconds, after which Dave pulled the chute and we started drifting. He asked how it was and I couldn't even begin to tell him. I told him how my sister had done the same thing back at home and since she had flipped out of her plane, we were even now. A few spirals and swirls later, with the land quickly approaching, Dave swung us around for our approach on the landing strip and we slid onto the grass field on our butts. Definitely one of the coolest things I have ever done.

The rest of our time in Interlaken was spent hiking the mountain trails. There are trails that go all through the different parts of the surrounding peaks, so we were able to experience the sheer cliffs, snow capped mountains, waterfalls, mountain cottages, and fresh mountain air. This weekend proved to be one of the most outrageous I've had so far, and I definitely recommend making it to Interlaken if you ever want an experience unlike any other.

I'm off to Italy later on today once I finish my last two finals and classes for the rest of the semester (heyoooo). I'll be there for about 9 days and we'll be seeing Rome, Florence, Tuscany, and Venice, so get ready for some more sweet pictures and stories. Have a good one!

A bientôt!

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end." -Ursula K. Le Guin

No comments: