Monday, December 17, 2007

On our last episode...

Ok I admit it- I have been a complete slacker. With work and getting the last bit of travelling and site seeing in, I have completely neglected writing. So in order to update you all and save some time, here's a quick recap:

1.) My new internship at the International School of Paris is amazing. My boss is American and so cool and the entire office is bilingual so I can still use my French. The school is right across the river from the Eiffel Tower which I walk to every morning- not a bad walk (which you can see here).


2.) The family came! Having Mom, Dad, and Katrina here for a week was so much fun. Being able to show other people my favorite places and all the fun stuff to see is one of the best parts of having visitors. The week was a whirlwind, but so worth it.

3.) As the family arrived, we jetted right back off to Ireland. The people there were probably the nicest I've ever met in Europe, and the scenery and sites were so beautiful and cool. After arriving in Dublin, we rented an automatic car (and by that I mean they gave us a manual, large blue van) and we drove 4 hours to Cork. This was, to say the least, an adventure. A few curbs and 4 hours without radio later, we arrived and spent a few days seeing the Twohig family and Father Twohig at his living community. Aging as he may be, Father Twohig is still fiesty as ever and it was great seeing him. Once back in Dublin, we saw Trinity College and the Book of Kells, as well as the Guinness Factory- a must if ever in Dublin.

4.) A few friends and I went to the famous Christmas markets in Strasbourg for a day to get into the Christmas spirit a little. This place was awesome. All over the town, there were little wooden huts set up selling everything from handmade crafts and ornaments to hot spiced any-kind-of-drink (personal favorites were the wine and cider) to French and German food. The cathedral in Strasbourg where a lot of the huts are located is awesome and has a really medieval look to it, and we even took a river cruise and got to see the different parts of the city, as well as some of the EU headquarter buildings. After a day of Christmas activities, we just hopped back on the TGV and two hours later were arriving in Paris!

5.) Last weekend was the final of my international trips- London. Expensive as this city is for an American right now (the conversion rate is 1 pound=$2), it was an amazing trip. I really think London is one of my favorite big cities I've visited since here. Luckily, I was able to stay with a friend on the BU program there, and the flats are located in South Kensington which is comparable to a Georgetown or a Greenwich Village in the States. She showed me all the sights- Parliament and Big Ben, the London Eye, all the Christmas lights on Oxford Street, Trafalgar Square, Hamley's Toy Store, Buckingham Palace, and Harrod's. On top of that, London is now only a 2 hour train ride from Paris on the renovated Eurostar which takes you to the St. Pancras International Station. This station is right across from King's Cross where, as we all know, Hogwart's students catch the Hogwart's Express at Platform 9 3/4! They even have a little luggage trolley half inside the wall between Platforms 9 and 10!

6.) The last weekend/week in Paris involves me finishing up my internship report and seeing the remainder of the sights I have left. This weekend was non-stop and so worth it. I really can't believe I head home in less that a week, but I'm definitely excited to see everyone and enjoy a little Christmas time stateside.

Stay tuned for final updates in which I'll try to say something insightful and thought-provoking. Until then, a bientôt!

"The world is a country which nobody ever yet knew by description: one must travel through it one's self to be acquainted with it." -Lord Chesterfield

No comments: